Tuesday, May 12, 2015

6KCBWDAY1-If I Was a Yarn

While on Facebook, I noticed that this week is the 6th annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week by Eskimimi Makes. I decided this was the perfect time to start working on my blog again. It has been awhile since I have posted anything, so here we go!!

The topic for Day 1 (which was really yesterday) was "If I was a yarn." This was really hard for me because I have been lucky to knit and crochet with some really nice yarn. Before I learned about all of the Indie Dyers, my first love was Malabrigo worsted. Malabrigo was the first yarn that I used that wasn't acrylic from Hobby Lobby. Some of my favorite things I have crafted have been out of Malabrigo. Their colors are kettle dyed and are to die for! I love how soft the yarn is!!  The only down side to their worsted is that it is not superwash. I do love their Rios superwash, but not in the same way that I love the worsted.

After thinking about this topic some more, I thought about handspun. I bought a wheel (named Luna) a couple of years ago and love the process of spinning. Most of my yarns have been 2 ply, but I am excited to try some new techniques. I love the process of turning a braid of fiber into a skein of yarn that will not be the same as any other skein. My favorite finished object out of my handspun so far is a pair of mitts that I spun the fiber that I purchased at Nerd Girl Yarns.  Christa is a true artist when it comes to color. It warms my nerdy heart that her colorways express so many fandoms that I love. These mitts were her panda base (60% superwash merino, 30% bamboo, 10% nylon) It is so wonderful to spin.
I will try and add a picture later because my computer is not playing nicely now

No comments:

Post a Comment